Saturday, March 28, 2015

#1122 Saturday 28 March

Yesterday was a school outing at Whiteman Park ..... the hot dog day where the parents can join in.  We .... Hannah, Callum and I ..... went along.   Of course Kaylia saw water and nothing else mattered .... but then we found that the teacher had changed the routine and water would be after food!  Yikes!   ..... and the food wasn't ready ..... bigger yikes!
We 3 kept the lid on Kaylia .... and after 45 minutes waiting for the food ... !!!! .... it was finally ready.   Then we had to endure a further long wait while 15 precisely assembled hot dogs were crafted one at a time by one single person!!!! In my head I'm screaming "just get the kids fed! They don't have to be perfect ".  I watched the other kids quietly waiting and realised once again just how different Kaylia is. Afterward I  thought about the day and .....
None of the other children were upset by not being able to swim.
I felt guilty that I left H+C to take Kaylia for a walk to calm her .... then reminded myself of the sprint vs marathon analogy .... Naomi and I have been looking after Kaylia for 11 years now and we have years more ahead .... we must take advantage of our helpers so as to conserve our energy for the future.

..... and lastly it occurred to me that the school staff seemed very happy to leave Kaylia to us .... no one tried to show us how they could manage Kaylia in that state ..... Perhaps I'm unfair ..... but I wonder what the school does at other times when they change routine.

Life doesn't make allowance for children like Kaylia .... 

1 comment:

  1. From what I've seen the teachers are very good at calming her down by telling her what is expected and that she isnt doing it. They were very assertive with her, which is definitely whats needed in those times. I guess they thought you'd rather look after her yourself, but don't worry they are really good with her and I think thats part of why she likes school so much :-)

    ReplyDelete