Saturday, May 20, 2017

#1558 Saturday 20 May


Verbal communication with Kaylia is always a problem  ..... how much of what we say does she understand?  How can we change the way we speak so that she can understand?  .And yet we know ....... from the way she picks up things when she's not in the conversation  .... that she has very good listening skills.

And that's only one side of the equation ...... we also have the problem of us trying to make sense of what she is trying to say to us!  This morning she was trying to tell us what she wanted to do with Ashley and Abbie today ...... and the word was impossible to understand.  She struggles to get her mouth to form the sounds ... and yet in some situations she is much better.  Listening to her speech during therapy sessions is a real 'eye opener'  ..... what a difference!   Why is her articulation so variable?

Today I am struggling to resist a temptation to have a rant about the world situation and Australian politics ...... yet it would be such a waste of breath .... a waste of keystrokes ..... (sigh) .....

I spent an hour this morning working with the firewood blocksplitter .... what an amazing machine!  I have almost finished splitting all the firewood round the place ..... lots!  Most of the blocks are big enough that I can barely lift them onto the splitter ..... I'd guess at around 40 to 60kg ..... about 50-60cm diameter.  I have a work table at the same height so that once it has split the block into two pieces, one piece is put aside for later while one is split further.  Usually each block produces about 10 to 15 bits small enough to go into the fire.

2:30pm  Kaylia and I have been shopping .... all god.She wore headphones while in the shops and it seemed to make the hustle more bearable for her. Now we are home .... and the nagging has started.  I immediately sent her to her room .... and she's not happy!  I think I will threaten her with "No drive with Mummy" if she doesn't control the nagging.

3pm ..... she escalated the situation quite a bit ..... and it occurred to me .... Dehydration headache!!
Sure enough ...... Once I had persuaded her to have a BIG drink of water, within minutes she was back to her normal cheery self.  We often forget the simplest things.

No comments:

Post a Comment