Sunday, January 15, 2012

#486 Sunday 15 January

We've just finished a lovely Skype session with Zoe ... we miss her heaps!
While talking to Zoe, Kaylia was there and she was asked if she "wanted a shower" .... she replied ".. or a bath!"   This is a quite a complex response and it's a good example of Kaylia's growing speech ability.  Another example .... I'm frequently struck by the way she now just answers questions or follows instructions ..... 6 months ago we would need to get her attention first, then wait while she processed what was being said ... we'd have to prompt for a response .... and maybe she'd be able to answer.     The difference between then and now is amazing!

This morning Kaylia and I were at the swimming pool .... about half the people there were clearly disabled.  I could identify people that could easily be the "Kaylia that might have been" without all the ABA intervention we (including you) have done over the years.
While swimming it occured to me that as Kaylia gets bigger and stronger, I'm growing weaker.  It's hard work now for me to get out of the pool  ... let alone lifting her out.  (She still wants to be lifted every now and then!) I guess this is an issue that arises for all carers .... eventually we become physically incapable of being a carer.  This is why it is important that we find someone younger who will take over that role one day.

We had a lovely letter from Katie recently ... she is doing really well and she's now teaching at an ABA type school!  Well done!  (I'll ask her permission to reproduce her letter for you all.)  ...oh ... and I forgot ... she's got a bloke!!

No comments:

Post a Comment