Friday, December 9, 2016

#1423 Friday 9 December

I love the way that Kaylia has learned to show affection and express feelings ..... this morning,  as we were preparing for departure to school, Kaylia came over to me and hugged me ..... and then went and hugged Joe.  It was a special moment.

You may remember my rant a few weeks ago about the Medicare benefit available to children with a disability? ..... and that the benefit literally  cannot be claimed because of the disability?   Well I wrote to the Federal Minister for Health about the issue .... and I received a written response yesterday.  Basically the response was that "Yes, that's correct .... the legislation was written that way."!!!!  Isn't that appalling?

So .... this is what I wrote to our local Federal Member .....
My daughter has severe autism and she is unable to receive any normal dental procedure as she cannot remain still enough for a dentist to work.  Consequently all dental work must be performed under general anaesthesia in hospital.
Under the CDBS, she is entitled to receive a benefit.  However, in-hospital treatment is excluded.  That is... because of her disability, she cannot access the benefits under CDBS!
On 22 November 2016, I wrote to the Hon Sussan Ley to point out this crazy anomaly.  Yesterday I received a reply (Ref : MC16-033221) which basically acknowledged the situation and said that the legislation was written that way.
Do you agree that a child with a disability should not be excluded from a benefit solely because the child has a disability?

No comments:

Post a Comment