Thursday, May 17, 2018

#1810 Thursday 17 May

14 days to go!  Soon I'll be able to start burning the piles of rubbish round the yard.  I look forward to this each year.

This morning on the drive to school I was having some D&M thoughts .... I was thinking back to 30 years ago when I had the bulldozer bogged in a creek at the back of the farm.  It was very thoroughly bogged .... deep enough that I couldn't even start the engine!  The bulldozer was a 1953 Fowler 45hp single cylinder diesel that was started by hand.  It had a large external flywheel and this was stuck in the mud .... so starting the engine was not an option.


Over a period of a few months I arranged a winching set up with many pulleys to multiply the power of the 8ton winch on the Landrover.  I only had 3 pulleys of my own so I began asking round the neighborhood to find some more.  Soon I began to find pulleys just arriving on my doorstep!  No names .... just the pulleys.

This picture shows how adding pulleys in the right way multiplies the effective force. 



Soon there were enough pulleys donated that I could create a very powerful array .... I estimated it to be about 50 ton of force ...... and it pulled the dozer out of the bog!  I wish I had a photo of it.


The point of this story is that the community clearly knew much more about me than I realised .... we often underestimate the care that our friends have for us and that our community has for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment