Friday, March 4, 2011

#187 Friday 4 March 2011

It's 4am ... I'm hungry and I 'm so used to being up with Kaylia that I just cannot get back to sleep ... so since Im the only person here, it's OK to be up & about! Kopi & nibblies! .... and the blog .....

Yesterday ..... my afternoon plans were waylaid by Yudi who took over and without any discussion, announced that we were going to Ubud to look at land that he was considering buying. This was at about 2 pm .... and by 10pm we'd shared his dreams, philosophies, life story ..... and I was wondering how I fitted into all this? Why was I here? In one sense, it is flattering that he sees enough value in me that he would want to make the effort! .... but I think the answer is that Yudi is like a cyclone that sweeps in and gathers people ..... if the people can add to his dream-machine, then he thinks about how this extra person can fit into the machinery.
So ... we spent hours discussing ideas and how the ideas could be turned into realities. Realities that mostly revolved around facilities to provide care & education for disabled children. .... and during the course of the discussions, we had a 2 hour trip to Ubud, .... had tea .... and finished with a relaxing massage. I think I like the Balinese way of doing business!

.... oh ... and Yudi had a starter lesson on how to create a blog! Watch out!

I learned a lesson on the way .... don't go anywhere without your camera! I'd left the 'real' camera in the villa while I went down Gang Blongan to Mama Putu's to have lunch ..... and I didn't get back to the villa! The iPhone camera received a thorough workout through the afternoon. In some ways, it is a good way to go .... for instance, in the morning I'd been able to find a special pair of shoes for a friend's daughter ... so I could immediately email a photo of the shoes to Lucinda .... and Mark was able to email back that Lucinda approved! I hope I never become blasé about all this technology ... the ability to do these things is just so mind boggling .... a never ceasing source of pleasure.

Today? At some point (I presume afternoon but I'm not certain) there will be the pre-Nyepi parade and ceremony. I have some shopping do either before or after this .... so it will be interesting. This lifestyle is easy and comfortable while a single entity .... but it would NOT work if other people were fitting into the timetable .... the system could not cope with a Kaylia or a Naomi!

While writing, I had a chocolate bar beside me and in the twenty minutes I/ve been writing, the little black ants have found the chocolate and gathered to take their share! The mosquitoes also gather! I think that I'll retreat. Talk to you soon!

11:30am I went out to find breakfast .... and found that Nyepi strikes the day before! Most warungs are closed for ceremony. I found one open not too far away - delightful little spot .... I'll go there again. Very Bhuddist with sayings all over the walls.
After that it was back to Lotte Mart to find more household items .... dustpan & broom, a large squegee to remove the water that blows under the doors, .... lots of little items that you take for granted till you find yourself in a completely bare villa!

About 10:00am Yudi came and we went over the villa finding all the little faults that need fixing. Komungs husband .... I couldn't catch his name .... is here for the next few hours to do all he can.

About midday I went down to the central Sanur area .... where we stayed Jan09 (the start of the Team-Kaylee) ... I found the street seller who sold me the Diesel bags .... he remembered me and of course I bought some new bags! Then it was home for some food, swim and read a book (... and write some more blog!)


Evening: That all turned into a sleep! Not surprising considering the early start.
I'm now in the Mago restaurant ... about 300m away from the villa in Jn Cemara. It has Wi-fi that works! I've been to Hardys for foodshopping earlier and bought some emergency supplies .... instant noodles, nuts etc .... maximum cooking is hot water.
The villa is now much more presentable after the cleaning session. I've also bought a giant squeegee ... in the heavy rain, water is coming under the doors into the rooms. This is no problem on the tile floors but without the squeegee, it is very hard to get the water out! ... and a broom! They also cleaned up a lot of builders mess .... normal for the builders but it hadn't been cleaned up. All the kitchen cupboards and drawers were filthy.
The mystery of the phone line is solved .... the phone sockets are a very nifty type with a spring loaded cover .... I just hadn't seen them even though I was looking for them. The phone is now installed and

1 comment:

  1. Ha ha ha. I warned you about Yudhie. Tireless self promoter. But give him his dues - he's a decent bloke. And you got a good tour.

    ReplyDelete