Friday, March 4, 2011

#188 Saturday 5 March 2011

Nyepi Day - no walking, no cooking, no shopping ......
YouTube Video
The ogok-ogok parade (the night before nyepi)

It's 7:50am ... I've been up for about an hour .... no sounds other than the birds, insects and electricals (pumps etc). When I came into the kitchen, the ants were happily breakfasting on an errant moth .... they were not happy when I kicked them (and their moth) out the door! I think ants will require a regime of cleanliness in the house ..... if a crumb is dropped, sweep it up .... or suffer the consequences! The ants may be tiny (about 1mm long) .... but you can really feel their bite!

Now what shall I do today? I might break the rules and look outside the door .... see what the outside world of Nyepi looks like ..... or I might go and visit Greg & Maxine in Villa Satu .... I have plenty of coffee! More than enough for Nyepi! The pool looks good too. I have learned that I can use the U-shaped neck pillow to support my head while floating on my back in the pool .... I didn't fall asleep but almost!

Of course Indosat observes Nyepi too .... I haven't been able to access the internet since late afternoon yesterday! So this blog will be posted ..... sometime!!

I went out last night about 10pm to watch a nearby ogok-ogok parade ..... if I can ever get on the net again, I'll upload the video clip from the iPhone.







Later: 10:40am I've just spent the last hour & a bit talking to Greg ..... a good time .... similar background and interests. He'll probably be a good neighbour for Pete in his new Bali existence. Funny how life goes .... Greg has had a similar insurance history to me .... and he shares my interest in farming, machinery and so on. At one time, Greg probably knew my Bruce rock family. The world is a small place.

1:30pm The internet is a problem .... I can now connect but it seems awfully slow .... so I ran the speed test ..... about 0.02Mb/s compared with around 5 Mb/s at home ... what's that? 250 times faster at home? This speed is just not fast enough for the sorts of things we do on the net .... just OK for email but thats it!

7:30pm This is really eerie & weird. I've just been reprimanded (by SMS) for having my bedroom light on! It's fortunate that the power isn't turned off .... dunno that I could handle no a/cond. Tea tonight is potato chips and ice tea. I had the idea that Nyepi was 6 to 6 .... it must be 6am Sat to 6am Sun .... I went out to see if there was any num-nums available anywhere but the streets are completely silent & dark. It feels like a post-apocalyptic movie set!

A zealous born again, bible-bashing Christian would have a terrible time ..... they'd feel duty bound to make noise and turn lights on .... to fight the evil and to shine their light in the darkness!


1 comment:

  1. Hi Ee, You were supposed to be having lots of rest in Bali. Nyepi is just one way of making sure you do rest :)

    Lots to tell you about when you get home.

    Miss you, N & K

    ReplyDelete