Friday, June 24, 2011

#297 Friday 24 June

It's the post OT 'blues' ..... I always manage to overdo it in OT sessions .... and I suffer afterward. Aching muscles ..... aaarrgh! It's 2:30am and it won't let me sleep. I've resorted to a tablet and I'll write for a while till it takes effect.

You may have heard the radio talk-back yesterday on ABC about the Carson St School .... many of the callers had adult children who had been through school there ... some related their experience of a life raising a child with disabilities. It left me with two impressions ... firstly that we're fortunate .... Kaylia could be much worse. Thinking back to when she began therapy, if she had not been through therapy, we would not have Kaylia. I think the difference would have been that great.
Secondly.... it's the old issue of political expedience ... although the cost of inaction will be gigantic in comparison to the cost of early intervention, this cost blow-out will be a problem for some poor government many election cycles in the future! It's not an immediate vote catcher. It is easier to sweep the problem under the carpet.

..... and the children suffer as a result.

Kaylia has come downstairs to join me .... "Medicine!" (she says) .... it's wonderful that she can now tell us. Two years ago, this situation would probably have developed into a screaming melt-down in the middle of the night as she tried to deal with pain and was unable to tell us how she was feeling. Now she has had some Panadol and she's just quietly sitting on the lounge. In a while, she'll go back upstairs to bed again.

Evening:  She stayed up for the rest of the night!  I went back to bed and slept badly because she was so noisy.

School made a lovely comment today ... that Kaylia's smile has brightened the classroom!  Regardless of how Kaylia fares academically and in life-skills in the future ... she will be a sunny, happy personality.  While driving to school, she was chuckling away .... I'd love to know what about.  I know she has a very good sense of humour so the chuckling is likely to be real mirth (not a stim) ... but what is it that she finds so funny?

No comments:

Post a Comment